Sep 2013

Fresh Figs + Dark Chocolate

I wish fig season lasted forever.

No I don’t. Truth is, while I had previously lamented their short window of availability, I’ve concluded that it’s best this way. They get to maintain their mystique and allure while I am assured my palette will never lose its lust for them. The anticipation is an important component.

Gone are the days where I serve my dinner guests a heavy dessert -  I prefer to punctuate a wonderful meal with just a few sweet bites. Bathing these beauties in dark chocolate and giving them a quick sprinkle of flaky maldon salt before they set up; I cant imagine a better ending. Fig season may be over in a flash  – but fret not as they are the gateway to Fall’s cornucopia of flavors.

Speaking of figs…

I have been all about this combo as the perfect sweet, savory + salty, [assembly-only] lunch of le moment. Sometimes it’s my breakfast. You could serve it as dessert. Crucial to optimal flavor here, is the use of a bloomy-rinded goat cheese such as Bucherodin which has a bit more age than a fresh goat cheese.  This results in a fuller flavor and dense, more flinty texture than that of a fresh goat cheese. Though the white rind is completely edible, I actually cut it away in this case and crumble the wedge with a twist of the knife tip or tines of a fork. Add a generous drizzle of honey, a liberal sprinkle of Maldon salt and dig in!

Chocolate Figs:

Fresh ripe figs
Dark chocolate [I use Trader Joe's giant bar]
Maldon salt

Melt the chocolate double boiler style – I use a small pot of boiling water with the smallest glass bowl possible set on top. Using a smaller bowl allows you to use less chocolate and gives you a deeper dip of chocolate. Dip figs one at a time, holding them by their woody stems. Immediately place on a parchment lined baking sheet and sprinkle with Maldon salt. After each fig has been dipped and sprinkled, refrigerate for 5-10 minutes until set. Don’t leave them in the fridge any longer or they’ll produce condensation. Store at room temperature and enjoy within a day or two, before they become juicy.

{ 16 comments… read them below or add one }

Geli September 14, 2013 at 4:20 pm

That sounds so delicious and easy to make.
You should open a small Bistro, Rachel. You can be open just for lunch, I’ll come….

The Fromagette September 14, 2013 at 4:51 pm

That’s sweet, Geli. You have an open invitation – come over for lunch any time!

Kiran @ KiranTarun.com September 14, 2013 at 10:38 pm

I wish every produce lasts year long too. Love dipping figs into chocolate. Its such a tasty combo!

The Fromagette September 15, 2013 at 9:40 am

It IS a tasty one, isn’t it:) One worth repeating!

Bertha Arias-Bottalico September 15, 2013 at 9:24 am

I want to have lunch with you, too. Rachel, I finally moved back from the Sierras, and our trees are loaded with figs! How exciting is that!

The Fromagette September 15, 2013 at 9:40 am

Exciting indeed!! Where are you these days, Bertha?

Debbie (sporty spice) September 15, 2013 at 9:24 am

YUMMY………..I like the sound of fig and Choc combo. I am motivated to get the ladder and forage the last of the figs at the top of the tree.
Thanks for this….just when I had really tired of my tried and true fig preperations.

The Fromagette September 15, 2013 at 9:39 am

Wow, you have a backyard supply??? Remind me of your address…

Kim | a little lunch September 16, 2013 at 6:11 am

Rachel, your chocolate-dipped figs are a work of art! Such beautiful photos. (I realize the figs aren’t “dipped” in the last photo, ha!) Anticipation is essential to food enjoyment… couldn’t agree w/u more. That “flinty” textured goat cheese is whetting my appetite just looking at it!

The Fromagette September 16, 2013 at 8:20 am

Why thank you, Kim!

Kat W. October 9, 2013 at 12:45 pm

I realized, I’ve never had fresh figs before. I’m dying to try them now, based on this post. I was drawn in by the allure of a new taste and by the beautiful food photography you offered. Amazingly beautiful photos!

The Fromagette October 9, 2013 at 12:48 pm

Thank you, Kat! I hope you’ll try them – they’re the easiest thing in the world to make. Grab your figs before they go out of season:)

Judie March 8, 2014 at 9:01 am

I LOVE fresh figs. When they are in season I ‘OD’ on them. Costco has them in a flat molded sheet and I will eat all of them. I take them to work to snack on. I will also slice them, add some goat cheese, drizzle with EVOO and grind some fresh good cracked pepper and sea salt. Wonderful appetizer. I cannot wait to dip them in dark chocolate as well to serve.

The Fromagette March 8, 2014 at 9:48 am

Judie,
My Costco didn’t have them this year, darn it. But previously I have found them there and what a treat to have a big flat of them!! I found really nice ones last saeson at Trader Joe’s…

Terry Wakefield March 19, 2014 at 11:59 am

An alternative, ease way to melt the chocolate is to use a microwave.
Microwave (on high) broken or shaved chocolate in a microwave safe bowl for about 30 seconds. Then alternate stirring and microwaving for 15 second intervals until a small amount of unmelted chocolate remains. (At this point the chocolate will still retain its temper so that when it sets up, it will have a nice gloss and smooth mouthfeel). Dip figs into chocolate.

The Fromagette March 19, 2014 at 1:43 pm

Hi Terry,

Thanks for the tip – I have indeed done that in a pinch, but I have not been pleased with the results in the case of dipping. I find that it remains thicker than when melted in traditional double boiler style and gives too heavy a dip, using up the chocolate too fast on fewer figs. If I am mixing the melted chocolate into a recipe I sometimes use the micro method.