Nov 2011

Seasonal Skinny Cocktail: Cranberry + Vanilla

Oh the weather outside is frightful, but this cocktail is so delightful!
And since we’ve no place to go, Let it snow! Let it snow! Let it snow!

Now this is a cocktail I can really get behind: it contains more than a day’s worth of vitamin C and is sugar free! I don’t know about you, but I’d like to see it replace the cabbage-soup diet. These tangy, ruby-red berries are an integral part of the holiday tradition, and as a potent vehicle of important antioxidants, we should enjoy them in abundance while the season allows…

Consider this my Rx for making spirits bright.

Print This Recipe Print This Recipe

juice + zest of 3 large navel oranges
2  12oz bags fresh cranberries, rinsed and picked over
1/2 cup Truvia
2 cups water
3 cups vanilla vodka [I like Absolut]
1 large bottle sparkling water

Puree the juice, zest, whole cranberries and 2 cups water in blender, then push through a sieve to remove solids. Transfer into a pitcher, add the Truvia and vodka and mix. To serve:  fill each glass with ice, add vodka mixture to the 3/4 point [or to taste]  and top off with sparkling water. Give it a gentle stir and garnish with orange zest and cranberries.

{ 22 comments… read them below or add one }

Kimby November 26, 2011 at 7:31 am

Rachel, those are the prettiest little cocktails! They actually made me look forward to winter! (It takes a lot to do that.) :)

The Fromagette November 26, 2011 at 10:56 am

Why thank thank you! I feel like we just don’t get enough of it here in the Pacific Northwest….they keep promising a “bad winter”, but never deliver. Haha

sarah @ two tarts November 28, 2011 at 12:57 pm

wow, you’ve made a cranberry cocktail look so gorgeous, festive, and wintery. I used to think of them more as the type of drink you get in a big to-go cup in New Orleans. gross, eh? I like yours a million times better :)

The Fromagette November 28, 2011 at 2:27 pm

I don’t know… a to-go cocktail cup sounds pretty good to me:)

Lauren @ hey, who cut the cheese? November 29, 2011 at 5:20 pm

These are beautiful! I love that they’re “skinny”, too. Thanks so much for sharing this one.

Ann from Sumptuous Spoonfuls November 29, 2011 at 8:12 pm

Oh my gosh this looks like the perfect cocktail! I so have to try this!

The Fromagette November 29, 2011 at 8:54 pm

Thanks Ann + Lauren!

Magic of Spice November 30, 2011 at 12:58 pm

OK, Now I am in a holiday mood! I love this cocktail and it is just so beautiful :)

The Fromagette November 30, 2011 at 2:51 pm

Glad you like it… just think how much holiday cheer you’ll have AFTER you have a few:)

Divya December 2, 2011 at 11:43 am

I’m always looking for low-cal cocktails and this is perfect! Gorgeously festive too :).

Melissa December 6, 2011 at 8:39 am

Beautiful cocktails! Instead of Truvia you can use Simply Simple sugar free simple syrup. It mixes better than the granules. Keep the recipes coming!

Molly December 8, 2011 at 6:57 pm

the drink sounds good but…just say no to chemicals: http://side-effects.owndoc.com/truvia-side-effects.html

The Fromagette December 8, 2011 at 7:16 pm

Hi Molly! You can certainly substitute sugar for the Truvia if you prefer, but for me, sugar is the enemy, not Truvia…

jean December 9, 2011 at 8:58 am

This drink looks fabulous. I’m gonna make it for my Christmas party as the signature drink!! Just wondering how many drinks this recipe serves?? Thank you for This wonderful drink recipe. :)

The Fromagette December 9, 2011 at 3:32 pm

I’m really sorry…. I did not remember to note the amount. Based on the ingredients, I would estimate 56 ounces or 7 – 8oz. drinks, plus you’ll top each off with sparkling water. Hope that helps a little… enjoy!!!

Prissy December 14, 2011 at 3:49 pm

This sounds really yummy, but how do I make just one or a couple of them?

The Fromagette December 14, 2011 at 3:55 pm

Hi, I would suggest dividing the recipe in 4 to make a smaller batch!

Marie April 5, 2012 at 4:04 pm

So, when cranberries are out of season, can cranberry sauce be substituted? What other fruit would you suggest if not? Looks wonderful!

The Fromagette April 5, 2012 at 4:40 pm

I know…darn – we’re out of season right now.

I would not recommend cranberry sauce – but why don’t you try adding a few more oranges and skip the water. That way you’ll still have the freshness of the fruit and the vanilla vodka will be a great compliment! That same basic principle {fresh pureed fruit through a sieve, mixed with truvia and vodka} should apply to your favorite summer fruits too! Just remember, they might not have the same flavor intensity of fresh cranberries so skip the water. Plus… the more vodka, the more fun… right?

Evelyn Ware October 21, 2012 at 2:54 pm

Could you use cranberry juice in place of cranberries?

The Fromagette October 21, 2012 at 3:01 pm

No, I really don’t recommend it – you lose so much of what makes this a great cocktail!

Lyn Berglund December 28, 2012 at 11:27 am

Great recipe!! Very excited to make this for New Year’s. I just wanted to clarify that you are saying each serving has the daily dose of vitamin C? Or if that was for the entire recipe?
Thanks!