Jul 2011

Frozen Berries + Melted White Chocolate

This recipe exemplifies how the simplest ingredients can produce an experience much greater than the sum of its parts. Just before I met my hubby, I was spending lots of time in London. I would regularly take one week seminars as a way to update my education while writing off my vacay. Eating my way through the city, I would wonder how London could ever have had such a bad rap in the dining dept. This was back in the early days of the Millennium Wheel and OXO. Asia de Cuba was hot and The Ivy was a standard. It’s been way too long since I’ve visited and sadly, I’m no longer up to date on what’s hip.

During one of my visits, a friend and I had the most amazing dinner at The Ivy and I am still thankful for her insight in ordering the frozen berries with white chocolate. This dish wasn’t something that called to me as I’m not sold on the idea of fruit as a dessert.  But I watched as she drizzled creamy white chocolate from a small pitcher over her berries and actually experienced a pang of envy. Somehow my spoon ended up in her dessert. Shocking, right? The chill of the frozen fruit against the hot melted chocolate delivers a brilliant counterpoint…

When it comes to white chocolate, spring for the good stuff -  it’s crucial you steer clear of those nasty white imposter chips – and don’t be tempted to use bagged frozen fruit. The berries will not look as pretty nor taste as fresh, and uh,  it’s summer for gosh sakes.

Print This Recipe Print This Recipe

2 pints fresh raspberries
1 pint fresh blueberries
1 pint fresh strawberries, stemmed and sliced thickly
1 pint blackberries
1 cup heavy cream
1 vanilla bean, scrapped
10 oz. good white chocolate, chopped

Serves 6.

Spread (washed and dried) berries on a large baking sheet in a single layer to prevent sticking, and place in freezer until frozen – about 2 hours. As soon as they have frozen, transfer them to ziplock bags to prevent them from absorbing flavors from your freezer. When ready to serve, distribute berries between 6 dessert plates in a single layer and allow to sit at room temperature for 10 minutes to defrost slightly while making the melted chocolate mixture. To make the chocolate mixture, heat the cream, white chocolate and vanilla bean seeds in a bowl over simmering water (double boiler style) until melted and hot.  Do not boil! Pour evenly over each plate of berries and serve immediately.

{ 18 comments… read them below or add one }

Kim July 25, 2011 at 10:47 pm

What white chocolate would you recommend? I’m not as familiar with quality white chocolate, since I prefer the dark variety.

The Fromagette July 25, 2011 at 11:02 pm

Lindt is my favorite. Just keep an eyeout for palm oil and ingredients that don’t belong in chocolate!

carolinaheartstrings July 26, 2011 at 11:48 am

That looks just fantastic and the perfect recipe this time of year with all the berries in season in North Carolina. Come over and visit. We have a great grilled squash recipe.

Kimby July 26, 2011 at 4:02 pm

Rachel, I printed your recipe before I even got to the comments, if that tells you anything. :) Absolutely BEAUTIFUL photos. I, too, experienced dining in London near the millenium — aren’t food memories fun?! (And yes, they got a bad rap!)

Honey @ Honey, What's Cooking July 27, 2011 at 9:07 pm

wow, gorgeous pictures! Just gorgeous! I love this. I have to make this before summer is up.

The Fromagette July 27, 2011 at 9:43 pm

Thank you! You’re going to LOVE it…

sabrina webb July 27, 2011 at 10:25 pm

I am new to cooking and to being married =) but this recipe seems practically fool proof. However, can I use vanilla extract rather than the bean? I usually shop at Walmart and I don’t believe they sell the beans…

The Fromagette July 28, 2011 at 10:00 am

Absolutely, no big deal to sub vanilla extract!

Sasha @ The Procrastobaker July 28, 2011 at 12:17 am

Oh my goodness…why has this not been introduced into my life earlier!!! Melted chocolate…instant attention grabber, then chuck in juicy berries and you have me won over most certainly. And your photo….oh dear, i need this!

mauka July 28, 2011 at 12:58 am

Absolutely PERFECT!!!!!

sarah @ two tarts July 28, 2011 at 4:54 am

MMMM…I had a recipe like this bookmarked a long time ago, but had completely forgotten about it. Thanks for the reminder & the gorgeous photos!!

Elizabeth July 28, 2011 at 2:06 pm

Mmmm, perfect, simple, summer dessert. What I wouldn’t give for a big heaping bowl of this right now!

Charissa July 28, 2011 at 4:48 pm

Oh my word. I’m dying over here…what a brilliant idea. I’m just aching to lick the screen (but my screen is dirty and I’m pretty sure it wouldn’t help, lol!). This just looks fantastic! Healthy with a little bit of naughty!

Lan July 29, 2011 at 7:40 am

i am envious. i love frozen berries, they’re like candy to me… i am not a fan of white chocolate but i think milk or semi or even bitter chocolated would be lovely… unfortunately, my darling love doesn’t like the combination of fruit & chocolate (the horror!). i would have to make this for One, my life is so hard. :)

The Fromagette July 29, 2011 at 11:43 am

I had this originally about ten years ago and have been making it for years. The Ivy’s berry selection included a tiny berry which was not identifiable at the time. I think they may have been frozen red currents which are in season right now – it would be fun to add them as well!

Jenn July 30, 2011 at 9:20 pm

This seriously sounds divine. I wish I had some fresh berries, so I could get up and make me a bowl of this right now.

lynn @ the actor's diet August 3, 2011 at 8:11 am

you are a genius!!!

Cookie and Kate August 5, 2011 at 8:25 am

Oh, I love this idea! Hot and cold, sweet and tart—brilliant!